In line with the Government’s aspiration towards digitalization, effective 1 December 2022, the Immigration Department of Malaysia is pleased to introduce a new featured document known as the ePASS for renewal of Employment Pass (EP) and pass renewals of any dependents.
As of this date, this implementation is only applicable for renewal of EP (principle) and its dependents under Expatriate Services Division (ESD). There is no announcement from Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) yet to confirm if the ePASS will also be introduced.
The Immigration Department of Malaysia (JIM) has been investing time and effort to try and improve the current immigration process. The Government has been looking for new ways to implement changes to help make processes more efficient.
- Effective date of ePASS is 1 December 2022 and only applicable for companies registered under ESD.
- ePASS is only applicable for renewals of EP and its related passes which includes Dependent Pass (DP), and Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).
- The ePASS is applicable for renewals with a previous active pass that was endorsed in the same passport.
- For renewal with a new passport (without a previous pass endorsement) is not applicable for ePASS and therefore will be issued with a physical Pass.
- ePASS will substitute / replace the physical EP sticker affixed into the passport which is obtained during pass endorsement.
1 December 2022
Santa Fe recommendations
- The physical passport will no longer be required during the renewal process.
- It will save one page in the passport as the ePASS can be stored in your smartphone or printed and kept separately.
- No need to meet the requirement of 6 consecutive empty pages in the passport during the renewal application process.
- Although the ePASS replaces the Pass Sticker in the physical passport, the ePASS alone is not sufficient as an identification document and we would encourage the pass holder to always hold on to the physical passport as formal ID.
For more information or assistance please contact:
Immigration Manager – Malaysia
Santa Fe Relocation
D +60 3 5569 1856
M +60 19 601 6900
Group Head of Immigration Operations
Santa Fe Relocation
D: +44 7990 021125
To read more immigration updates, click here
About our Immigration Services
Our immigration services manage thousands of visa applications every year for a multitude of international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.