In anticipation of the development of a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529 (Omicron variant), which has now spread to several countries in the world, the Indonesian Government has updated its international travel regulations of which stipulated on the Circular Letter of the National Task Force for Covid-19 No. 26 Year 2021 & Circular Letter of MOHLR No. MI-0303.GR.01.01 Year 2021.
Who are affected?
International travellers who want to enter Indonesia.
• The Government of Indonesia is temporarily closing the entry of foreign nationals, direct flight or in transit that within the last 14 (fourteen) days arrived from places:
1. Countries with confirmed transmission of the SARS-CoV2 B.1.1.529 (Omicron) variant: (1) South Africa, (2) Botswana, and (3) Norway.
2. Countries with close proximity: (4) Angola, (5) Zambia, (6) Zimbabwe, (7) Malawi, (8) Mozambique, (9) Namibia, (10) Eswatini, and (11) Lesotho.
3. Countries with more than 10,000 confirmed cases of SARS-CoV2 B.1.1.529 (Omicron): (12) United Kingdom, and (13) Denmark.
• Temporary closure of foreign nationals directly or in transit within a period of 14 (fourteen) are excluded for travellers with the following criteria:
1. Official Delegates and Foreign Diplomats serving in Indonesia.
2. In accordance with the regulations and provisions in the Regulation of the Minister of Law and Human Rights Number 34 of 2021 concerning Immigration Visa and Stay Permit in the Period of Handling the Spread of Corona Virus Disease 2019 and National Economic Recovery.
3. In accordance with bilateral agreement schemes, such as the Travel Corridor Arrangement (TCA).
4. Recommendation from the Ministries/Agencies.
• Temporary suspension of granting of visit visas and limited stay visas for citizens of South Africa, Botswana, Norway, Angola, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Eswatini, Lesotho, United Kingdom and Denmark.
• International travellers with the status of foreign nationals with the tourism purpose without a travel history and/or staying within 14 days from the restricted countries/region may enter the territory of Indonesia with the following conditions:
a. Entering via airport entry points in Bali and the Riau Islands.
b. In addition to the provisions/requirements, showing the COVID-19 certificate/card and the negative result of the RT-PCR test, international travellers who want to go for tourism purpose are required to attach:
– Short-stay visa or other entry permits in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
– Proof of ownership of health insurance with an insured value of at least US$100,000 which includes financing for COVID-19 handling.
– Proof of booking confirmation and payment for accommodation from the accommodation provider while staying in Indonesia.
Health Protocol for International Traveler to Enter Indonesia:
1. Complying with the provisions of the health protocols set by the government.
2. Use the PeduliLindungi App that could be downloaded and installed to the mobile phone from App Store or Play Store.
3. Showing negative results of RT-PCR tests in the country/region of origin with samples taken within a maximum period of 3 x 24 hours before the departure time and attaching them during the health check or when filling the Indonesian International e-HAC in PeduliLindungi App.
a. Foreign nationals are required to show a physical or digital card/certificate having received a full dose of COVID-19 vaccine as a requirement to enter Indonesia.
b. In the event that the foreign nationals have not received the vaccine abroad, they will be vaccinated at the quarantine location upon arrival in Indonesia after the second RT-PCR tests with negative results are carried out, with the following conditions:
• Foreign nationals aged 12-17 years old.
• Holders of diplomatic stay permits and official stay permits; and/or
• Holders of limited stay permits (KITAS) and permanent stay permits (KITAP).
4. Foreign nationals who are already in Indonesia and will travel, both domestically and internationally, are required to vaccinate through a program or mutual cooperation scheme in accordance with statutory regulations.
5. The obligation to show a physical or digital COVID-19 vaccination card/certificate as a requirement to enter Indonesia is excluded for:
• Foreign nationals who hold diplomatic visas and service visas related to official/state visits of foreign officials at ministerial level and above and foreign nationals who enter Indonesia under the TCA scheme, in accordance with the principle of reciprocity while still implementing strict health protocols.
• Foreign nationals who have not been vaccinated and intend to travel domestically with the purpose of taking international flights out of the territory of Indonesia are allowed not to show their COVID-19 vaccination card/certificate as long as they do not leave the airport area during transit waiting for international flights, with the following requirements:
– Receiving permit from the local Port Health Office (KKP) to carry out domestic trips with the purpose of taking flights out of Indonesia; and
– Showing the schedule of flight tickets to outside Indonesia through direct transit from the city of departure to the international airport in the territory of Indonesia with the final stop at the destination country.
• International travellers under 18 years old.
• International travellers with special health conditions or comorbid diseases that cause travelers to be unable to receive vaccines, with the condition that they must attach a doctor’s certificate from the government hospital of the country of departure stating that the person concerned has not received and/or cannot receive COVID-19 vaccination.
6. The physical of digital card/certificate is written in English, in addition to the language of the country of origin.
1. International traveller who is carrying out centralized quarantine with self-financing shall show proofs of payment confirmation for booking quarantine accommodation from the accommodation provider while staying in Indonesia.
2. Upon arrival, RT-PCR retests are carried out for international travellers and they are required to undergo centralized quarantine for 10 x 24 hours.
3. Foreign nationals, including foreign diplomats, besides the heads of foreign missions and the families of the heads of foreign missions shall undergo quarantine in appointed quarantine accommodation places.
4. For foreign nationals, the 2nd RT-PCR tests are carried out on the 9th day of quarantine.
Effective from 25 Dec 2021 and would be evaluated periodically.
Santa Fe Analysis
• For employers, it is advised to keep assignment start dates flexible for affected travellers.
• As health protocols change rapidly, we suggest checking with Santa Fe on the latest requirements prior entering Indonesia.
• Santa Fe will monitor the situation closely and provide updated information once available.
Should you have any questions, please contact:
IMMS Services Manager
Santa Fe Relocation
D: +62 21 782 2428
Group Head of Immigration Operations
Santa Fe Relocation
M:+44 7990 021125
To read more immigration updates, click here
About our Immigration Services
Our immigration services manage thousands of visa applications every year for a multitude of international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.