Air Border Control, reopening conditions and Visas: Processing of national Visa applications and Schengen Visa exceptions
Following the Recommendation of the Council of the European Union of 30 June 2020, the Portuguese Government extended, on July 31st, the restrictive measures on air traffic to and from Portugal, that will be in force until August 15th. These measures foresee:
Authorisation for air traffic to and from Portugal for:
• Flights to and from EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland and the United Kingdom;
• Flights with direct connections to Portugal from Australia, Canada, China, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay;
• Flights to and from Portugal for all flights and to countries that are not part of the European Union or that are not countries associated with the Schengen Area, exclusively for essential journeys;
• Flights planned to allow the return to Portugal of nationals or foreign citizens holding a residence permit in Portugal; Flights to support the return of national citizens and holders of residence permits in Portugal, as well as humanitarian flights, which have been previously recognised by the government services of foreign affairs and civil aviation authorities;
• Flights planned to allow foreign citizens who are in Portugal to return to their countries, if they are promoted by the competent authorities of such countries, subject to prior request and agreement, with respect for reciprocity.
Under the terms of the Order, and for the purposes of applying for authorisations for flights from third countries (other than those listed in the Order), are considered essential journeys the following:
• Those carried out to allow the transit, entry or departure from Portugal of nationals of the EU, of states associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland), and members of their families, under the terms of Directive 2004/38 / EC of the Parliament and the Council, and third-country nationals legally resident in an EU Member State;
• Those intended to allow the transit, entry or departure from Portugal, of third-country nationals travelling for professional reasons, for study, for family reunions (all must hold a National Visa), for health or humanitarian reasons, and on a reciprocal basis.
Regarding processing of all national visas, it was resumed today, August 5th. The suspension of the processing of Schengen visas applications will remain until 15 August 2020, except for situations permitted by law.
NOTE: Local circumstances resulting from the pandemic may prevent certain Consular Posts from being able to immediately resume the regular processing of all national visas.
Passengers of third countries and Portuguese nationals and residents in Portugal must present, at the time of departure, a proof of Covid-19 test (only PCR test are accepted), with a negative result, obtained up to 72 hours prior to departure.
Should you have any questions, please contact the following for assistance:
Santa Fe Relocation
About our Immigration Services
Our immigration services manage thousands of visa applications every year for a multitude of international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.