Work Permit quotas for 2020
Every year, Switzerland sets quotas for the number of work visas it issues to citizens outside the EU and EFTA.
The Swiss government has set work-permit quotas for EU and non-EU nationals, including U.K. nationals, in case of a no-deal Brexit.
What does it mean?
The 2020 quotas will remain the same as in 2019:
- 4000 “L” short-term permits for non-EU/EFTA nationals;
- 4500 “B” long-term permits for non-EU/EFTA nationals;
- 3000 “L” short-term permits for service providers/seconded workers based in the EU/EFTA;
- 500 “B” long-term permits for service providers/seconded workers based in the EU/EFTA;
- 1400 “L” short-term permits for British nationals;
- 2100 “B” long-term permits for British nationals.
Quotas for EU Nationals on assignment
Quotas for EU/EFTA nationals on assignment will be released as usual on a quarterly basis.
Quotas restrictions: Updated information about Romanian, Bulgarian and Croatian nationals
From June 1, 2019, Romanian and Bulgarian nationals now benefit from full freedom of movement of persons and are subject to the same criteria as the EU27/EEA citizens in terms of local employment and relocation to Switzerland.
Among the EU member states, Croatia is still subject to the “safeguard clause,” with a limited number of permits issued for Croatians.
- Implementation time frame: Jan. 1, 2020.
- Visas/permits affected: B and L permits. Permits for 120 days or up to four consecutive months and for locally hired EU/EFTA nationals are exempt from quotas.
- Business impact:Employees should anticipate that the same total number of B and L permits will be available as in 2019.
If you would like to discuss more on this topic, please do reach out to our key contacts below:
Sales and Director Immigration Germany & Switzerland
About our Immigration Services
Our immigration services manage thousands of visa applications every year for a multitude of international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.
Santa Fe Relocation is a global mobility company specialising in managing and delivering high-quality relocation services worldwide. Our core competence is providing services that help corporations and their employees relocate and settle in a new country, assisting them with immigration, home and school searches, language and cultural training, property rentals, and domestic and international household goods shipments. We provide these services to a consistently high standard, locally and globally. A key strength is our ability to manage these services through our own operations around the world.