National lockdown: Stay at home
A joint statement from the four UK Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) recommended that the UK COVID-19 alert level move from level 4 to level 5, indicating that if action is not taken the NHS capacity may be overwhelmed within 21 days. As of 6 January 2021 the following restrictions have been put in place:
1. Schools are required to provide remote education for those learning at home.
2. All non-essential retail, hospitality and personal care services must close.
3. Restaurants can continue delivery, takeaway or click-and-collect of food and non-alcoholic drinks, but venues will no longer be able to serve takeaway or click-and-collect alcohol.
4. Essential shops and garden centres can remain open.
5. Entertainment venues and animal attractions such as zoos must close, but the outdoor areas of venues such as heritage homes and botanical gardens can remain open, to be used for exercise. Playgrounds may also remain open.
6. Places of worship can also remain open, but you may only visit with your household.
7. Indoor and outdoor sports facilities including sports courts, gyms, golf courses, swimming pools, and riding arenas must also close. Elite sport and disabled sport can continue, as can PE lessons for those children attending school.
8. People in the UK will only be allowed to leave their homes for the following reasons:
+ shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person;
+ go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home;
+ exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area;
+ meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one;
+ seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse);
+ attend education or childcare – for those eligible.
The restrictions have come into effect from 00.01 on Wednesday 06 January 2021 and are expected to last until the middle of February if the situation in hospitals improve.
Should you have any questions, please contact the following:
Koshi Blavo Barna
UK Head of Immigration
Santa Fe Relocation UK
Tel.: +44 0203 457 3595